UPDATE: The IHRP received one-time funding in the supplemental operating budget. We have taken necessary steps to restart program operations and are now accepting and processing applications.

Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 15.120.005 to 15.120.050 (2016)​

Allows hemp production as part of a research program overseen by the Washington State Department of Agriculture.

Requires the department establish a seed certification program.



Do I need a license to grow, process, market or handle industrial hemp in the State of Washington?


Yes. The Washington state law (RCW 15.120.020 says:

"[I]ndustrial hemp is an agricultural product that may be grown, produced, possessed, processed, and exchanged in the state

solely and exclusively as part of an industrial hemp research program supervised by the department [of agriculture]."


How much THC is allowed in industrial hemp?


By law, all industrial hemp must contain a THC concentration of 0.3% or less by dry weight.

What's the difference between an application and a license?

Applying is the first step. You will fill out an application and submit it to the IHRP in-person or by mail. If your application is approved, you will receive a license that allows you to grow, or process and market, industrial hemp. If your application is denied, then you will not be allowed to grow or process and market industrial hemp.






  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© 2019 by Hemp Farmers Association